want me to critique your story

Want Me to Critique Your Story?

want me to critique your story pinterestWould you like me edit an excerpt of your writing?

I have a new series in mind for the blog, which I think will prove fun and instructive for all of us.

Here’s how it works.

If you’re interested in participating, send me a page of your work-in-progress.

You can email me here. Attachments aren’t allowed, so you’ll need to copy/paste your chosen excerpt into the body of the email.

Please include:

• The story title.
  • The genre.
  • Your name.
  • Any particular comments or questions you have about the piece.
  • The excerpt to be critiqued (should be no more than 1,000 words).

Every month or so, I’ll choose a submission to critique. I probably won’t publish the entire excerpt, but just enough to comment on and talk about. I’ll be focusing on one or two principles in each post, based on whatever each submission offers.

The results will be posted here on the blog with an accompanying article with tips for improvement and comments on things well done.

I can’t guarantee all submissions will be posted. And please note only those posted will be critiqued. (I will also not be responding to the emailed submissions I receive unless and until I post a critique.) I’ll choose the submissions I feel can best help everyone who reads the critiques.

Sound like fun? We’ll try our first critique out in a few weeks, and you all like it, we’ll keep doing it!

Wordplayers, tell me what you think! Do you like the idea of doing a series of posts based on critiques? Tell me in the comments!

Sign up to receive K.M. Weiland’s monthly e-letter and receive her free e-book Crafting Unforgettable Characters: A Hands-On Introduction to Bringing Your Characters to Life.

Comments

1. Love it! Awesome! Thank you so much for your generous offer xo

2. Oh, yeah, K M! Thanks for yet another opportunity to learn from you. Soon.

3. BB - unpublished but a writer just the same says:

Well — absolutely! Would you/the populace consider a ‘review my outline’ option? As a plotter-in-training, the improvements between the scratch draft outline toward the first draft outline toward… each generations of improvement become hazy. Using Scrivener helps ALOT and I begin to see how your use of PROJECT NOTES & SYNOPSIS works will make for an improved outline. I continually seek insights on how to improve the backbones of the story.

4. mrswillett2017 says:

I love your idea! Much like apprenticeship, we can learn to be better by watching someone else work the craft. Thank you for the help!

5. Thank you for your generous offer. I’d love the opportunity to benefit from you critique!

6. Fran Oglesby says:

It sounds great if I’m brave enough to do it. Can you publish it without the authors name? Or can we use a pen name?

Sure. If you specify that you want to use a nom de plume or no name at all, I will respect that.

7. A mentor is exactly what I need. If I can only choose an excerpt to send you!

8. Carol Painter says:

This is a great idea, thanks for offering.

9. Carmone Harris says:

Oh this is awesome. I would love this. So it says {WIP} That’s after first drafts, correct?

WIP just means work-in-progress. You can send whatever you’d like, although pieces that are more polished are more likely to be chosen for critique.

10. Hey, this means it has to be part of a longer piece and not a short story, right? Can it be part of a novella?

11. Just submitted! Yay!

12. Sheila LyonHall says:

I followed the link above (“You can email me here.”) to submit my 1,000-word excerpt for a Story Critique. The link ends up here (https://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/contact/), which appears to be a “general” Contact page. You make reference to “Frequently Asked Questions” but there’s no reference to “Story Critique” on that page. As no one else is asking for help in this area, I suspect I’ve skipped a major beat somewhere. I’d appreciate you re-directing me to the “email” link to submit my story excerpt. Thanks!

13. I love this idea! It’s a win-win for everyone. And so generous of you to share your thoughts and talents.

14. Shawn Baumann says:

This is an exciting idea! Does it matter if the piece has already been self published on Smashwords?

15. KM,

I love this idea. I’m excited for both halves of this opportunity to learn, both as a writer and as a writer-buddy who will inevitably continue to give feedback to peers. I am looking forward to this series and I hope to have something to submit soon. Thanks for the opportunity. 🙂

16. Jo NEYLAN says:

I’m so new to this and would love the opportunity for you to have a look at some work of mine. I have an attack scene I’m not sure of…

17. Coming from Katie, the idea is fantastic. I can almost see her being swamped with emails right now. (mine is already out)

18. Ms. Albina says:

Thank you for doing this. When are you going to put on the critique your story post up?

19. Me: *sees the first post and remembers*
    Also me: *scrolls through WIP to pick an excerpt*

I’ve been meaning to submit something for a while and I’m just now getting to it…

Feel free! However, do know that, as I said, the queue is huge right now, so I won’t be able to critique everyone’s.

20. I love this idea. It’s important to pay it forward, so to speak. I also offer free editing of a chapter because as a beginner it’s vital you know your strengths and weaknesses and not everyone can afford to hire an editor.