want me to critique your story

Want Me to Critique Your Story?

want me to critique your story pinterestWould you like me edit an excerpt of your writing?

I have a new series in mind for the blog, which I think will prove fun and instructive for all of us.

Here’s how it works.

If you’re interested in participating, send me a page of your work-in-progress.

You can email me here. Attachments aren’t allowed, so you’ll need to copy/paste your chosen excerpt into the body of the email.

Please include:

• The story title.
  • The genre.
  • Your name.
  • Any particular comments or questions you have about the piece.
  • The excerpt to be critiqued (should be no more than 1,000 words).

Every month or so, I’ll choose a submission to critique. I probably won’t publish the entire excerpt, but just enough to comment on and talk about. I’ll be focusing on one or two principles in each post, based on whatever each submission offers.

The results will be posted here on the blog with an accompanying article with tips for improvement and comments on things well done.

I can’t guarantee all submissions will be posted. And please note only those posted will be critiqued. (I will also not be responding to the emailed submissions I receive unless and until I post a critique.) I’ll choose the submissions I feel can best help everyone who reads the critiques.

Sound like fun? We’ll try our first critique out in a few weeks, and you all like it, we’ll keep doing it!

Wordplayers, tell me what you think! Do you like the idea of doing a series of posts based on critiques? Tell me in the comments!

Sign up to receive K.M. Weiland’s monthly e-letter and receive her free e-book Crafting Unforgettable Characters: A Hands-On Introduction to Bringing Your Characters to Life.

Comments

1. I would love you to critique a section of my novel! Brilliant!

Jo Hampshire UK
    Creating My Odyssey – Liberating the Real Me After Thirty Years Of Depression and Anxiety http://www.jo-b-creative.blogspot.co.uk

2. Yes, I’m interested. It would be great to have an unbias professional to look at my work. Currently, I have no one to critique my writing and desperately need other eyes.

When can I get started?

Go head and submit. I can’t guarantee than all submissions will be critiqued, but I will do the first one sometime early next month.

3. Thank you so much for this opportunity to have our scenes critiqued.

4. What a noble gesture of yours.

I hope this offer is also available for short books about financial mentoring.

Best greets,

Pedro

5. Thank you for the valuable author and the free books. What a great way to begin my day.

6. Yay! This is perfect! I will submit late today or tomorrow. Do you need the format double spaced? Thank you so much for doing this!

7. This is a great opportunity for me as an unpublished writer. Chances are a lot of your readers are feeling this way.

8. I think this is a great idea. It would provide a much need venue for us unpublished word slayers.

9. Andrew Park says:

You are very generous, K. M. Weiland. Like Bob (above) my scenes are a bit over 1,000 words. I could send you a complete scene and if you stop reading at word 1,000, then them’s the breaks

10. Paula T. Phillips says:

I think this is a wonderful idea. Not only can we learn from you, but also from each other. Paula T. Phillips

11. Question: Is there a limit to how many times we can participate?

12. Yes! I love the idea of this series. I’ll be submitting an excerpt soon.

13. Sounds interesting. I’m curious about how you picked that word count and what sorts of things you expect to be revealed in that space. That’s about four pages, double-spaced at 12 point TNR.

Agents use the first five to reveal voice, pacing, a hook, a good opening line, and things like that. I’d assume you’d want to cover the same things, along with maybe style and a grasp of mechanics. The first five double-spaced TNR pages of an MS only amounts to another 250 words or so. How about, instead if 1000 words, 1250 or 1300 words? Just a thought. It might help out folks who are planning to query an agent or traditional publisher. 😁

14. Hi Kate
    That’s an awesome idea and it will be so helpful to see a draft edited.
    I’m very excited to see this project launch. Great work.
    Thanks

15. M. Lee Scott says:

Thanks for this awesome opportunity for the unpublished author. It helps to have more than one perspective of our work. Will be submitting soon!

16. Hi Kate,
    Sounds like an amazing learning opportunity for the community, and obviously for the writer that submitted as well. Great idea!

17. Sandra fowlks says:

Well, that awakened the sleeping wordplaying giant! My dear, gentle Kate. I haven’t written a word in over three months. One of my big sleepy eyes is open. Time to open the other eye and start writing. Thank you! Like you! Adore you!

18. Nan Willard Cappo says:

This would be wonderful. I don’t have a writer’s group, but I love this site and have bought–and heavily underlined–your books. So I trust you’d be a good beta reader. Will send in my 1000 words very soon.

19. My concern is that once an excerpt is published on your blog, the finished product may not be eligible to be picked up by an agent because some portion of it has already been published. Many publishing houses I’ve looked at list that as a disqualifying factor. I’d be interested to hear your opinion on that.

I sincerely doubt that. But I’m not an expert on that kind of thing.

• I am also not a professional on the matter but I have met Jane Friedman who has lots of experience in the publishing industry. Here is her link about copyright theft and publishing. https://www.janefriedman.com/idea-theft/
      Pretty much from what I’ve read, the blogger sets the standard says there’s no selling of material and no rights held to it. So you’re safe to send an excerpt that might even bring you more publicity;

20. Please notify the authors if their submissions will be critiqued.

21. This is nice if you, thank you for this, I’ll be nice to have a fresh opinion on my wip. I was wondering does it have to be the first chapter? I went with that just to be safe.

22. Tom Youngjohn says:

You don’t want to get too busy though, Ma’am. Your craft is too important. But this is a diabolically brilliant way to drive up loyalty amongst your followers. (Since you don’t have a Patreon page I bought four more of your fiction books, new, hard cover, by the way.)

Myself I’m a little hesitant to get any advice until I get my first draft done of my work in progress, and then it’s off to the first generation beta readers.

Were I a successful novelist, I’d offer myself as a critique partner, except I’m brutal about logical discrepancies, and you write speculative fiction. Or the inside of me seems brutal, to myself. This is why I really cannot read fiction anymore. I’m the veritable crit devil. My crit might be far more destructive than helpful.

And I’m clearly not a successful novelist! Based on my record so far I’m a lousy novelist. I wrote a novel and seven people read it and no one liked it much. So I’m a novelist but a lousy one based on history. But I hadn’t heard of commercial fiction theory at that time. Hell, I didn’t even have an ending to write toward when I started that one.

23. Tom Youngjohn says:

G-d bless you.

24. For some of us writing is a hobby, for others an occupation. and for me a life. I write because I love the complexity and the imaginary worlds I construct. I cry with my characters.