Need a good book editor? Top Recommendations

Need a Good Book Editor? Top Recommendations

Where do I find a good book editor? This is, without doubt, the question I receive most frequently from fellow writers.

Where to Find a Good Book EditorIt’s a hard question to answer because, while finding an editor is easy, finding a good book editor is something else again. My default answer has always been to point readers to my own editor CathiLyn Dyck, my critique partner Linda Yezak, or my proofreader Steve Mathisen. But once Cat stopped taking on new clients, that list necessarily shrunk.

So I decided to take the bull by the horns and ask other writing experts, whose opinions I trust, for their recommendations. The following list is the result.

The following editors are in alphabetical order, with their names linked to their websites, so you can do further research to discover which is best suited to your needs. I’ll be adding to the list whenever an appropriate new name comes to my attention (you can always find the list on the Resources page-accessible from the site’s top toolbar).

If you know of a good book editor, with whom you’ve personally worked, please feel free to add their name and URL in the comments. (If you’re an editor yourself and would like to be included, please ask one of your satisfied clients to nominate you.) The goal is to make this as useful a resource for everyone as possible.

The Top Recommended Freelance Book Editors

Crystal Watanabe

Lara Willard

Ben Wolf

Linda Yezak

Carla Young

Ginny Ytrrup

In today’s market, getting feedback from a skilled editor is crucial–especially if you’re planning to publish independently. If you’ve yet to find your perfect editorial match, start with the names here and get ready to transform your story!

Wordplayers, tell me your opinion! Have you ever worked with a good book editor? Can you add to the recommendations here? Tell me in the comments!

Sign up to receive K.M. Weiland’s monthly e-letter and receive her free e-book Crafting Unforgettable Characters: A Hands-On Introduction to Bringing Your Characters to Life.

Comments

1. Tim Symonds says:

I’d highly recommend my freelance editor, Ailsa Crofts, up in Scotland. She did a superb job on two of my Sherlock Holmes’ novels (‘Sherlock Holmes And The Dead Boer At Scotney Castle’ and ‘Sherlock Holmes And The Sword of Osman’). Detective novels need an editor, it’s too easy to put too much detail in, (overload the reader with technical stuff, for example) or wander down side-alleys. She will providea critique the typescript, telling you of any flawsshe spots in characterization, story flow, etc etc, and pointing out improvements that could be made, and may even suggest you rewrite large sections.

I especially like the idea Ailsa works at home in the wildest part of Great Britain, with heaped up snow in winters and probably pestered by a myriad gnats in the short Scottish summers.

Email [email protected]

Address: East Manse
    Strathconon
    by Muir of Ord,
    Ross and Cromarty
    IV6 7QQ
    UK

• Ailsa Campbell says:

And putting it in reverse – if any of you editors out there want the dream client, Tim Symonds ticks every box. I also work under the professional name of Ailsa Campbell (as translator as well as editor).

2. Thanks for including me! It’s an honor to be recommended 🙂

3. As the founder and director of the Christian Editor Connection and The Christian PEN: Proofreaders and Editors Network, I am thrilled to see many members of those organizations on this list! The Christian PEN provides education, networking, and community for editorial freelancers at all levels. The Christian Editor Connection matches established, professional editors with the people who need them. So if you’re looking for a good editor, check out http://www.ChristianEditor.com. If you are an editor or are interested in becoming one, check out http://www.TheChristianPEN.com.

4. Kylie Betzner says:

Rachelle M. N. Shaw has copy-edited both my novels. She does a fabulous job explaining her suggestions and what I’m doing wrong. I’ve learned so much about grammar and punctuation along the way. I would not put my book out without first having her eyes on it. Plus, she has fair rates and is flexible with payment plans.

I am happily hiring her again for my next project.

This is her website: rachellemnshaw.com
    And you can find her on Twitter: @RMNSediting

5. I would love to nominate Sea Chapman. She edited my second novel. Even though she hadn’t edited the first in the series she read it and made indepth notes to make sure the events lined up and there were no inconsistencies. She worked quickly and thoroughly. Sea’s superpower is delivering the bad news (that your novel isn’t perfect) in the absolute best way. I always felt empowered leaving an editing session with her. I would recommend her to absolutely anyone.

6. Shaun Dovaston says:

I wholeheartedly recommend Sea Chapman for any aspiring or established authors requiring an editor. I’ve found Sea to be thorough, insightful and a pleasure to work with.

7. Hi, I know it would involve some extra work, but knowing what kind of editing the people in the list offer would be very helpful.

8. I can highly recommend three editors with whom I’ve worked on many book projects: Arlene Prunkl of http://www.penultimateword.com, Dania Sheldon of daniasheldon.com, and Caroline Kaiser of http://www.carolinekaisereditor.com.

9. Lori Colvin says:

I’m a best-selling author, and Megan Maxwell is the best editor I’ve ever encountered. She handles both content and technical aspects of editing like the consummate pro that she is. Check her out at wordsmithmaxwell.wordpress.com

10. Jonathan Caws-Elwitt is a joy to work with. He’s at the top of my list for editorial assistance, though technically there’s no number two. I seriously look forward to seeing his corrections of my writing. He handles his suggested changes with such finesse that I’m never mortified by an error. Frankly, Jonathan Caws-Elwitt makes me look like a smarter writer, and I’m comfortable with that; good writing is inseparable from good editing, and I’m wise enough to engage the best. He describes his services here: http://editing.jonathancaws-elwitt.com

11. Highly recommend Stephanie Aspasia Marshall Ward http://theeclecticscribe.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/momof3feistykids — she’s worked for me on a variety of projects and for my clients on a variety of editing and coordinating projects.

12. Blondell H. says:

I really liked working with Marquita from the Harrison Editing Firm. She is really good to her clients, and I know for a fact that she is looking to grow her client list this year. And she actually just set up shop online. Definitely check her out!

13. Richard Bradburn at http://www.editorial.ie gave me a great structural edit for my historical fiction manuscript, Songs of All Poets. After I rewrote my manuscript following Richard’s advice, it went on to be selected in a prestigious manuscript development program in Australia and is now being considered by agents.

14. Hi! I just wanted to say thank you for including me in your list, alongside other highly recommended editors. The service you are doing other writers is fantastic. I would also like to pay it forward by recommending Lauren Spieller http://www.laurenspieller.com/services. She is an excellent editor and a wonderful champion of people’s work.

Thank you so much, K.M.

15. Monique says:

This is a really great list. I’m working with Marquita from Harrison Editing Firm on my first non-fiction book about podcasting. I found her on The Creative Penn. She’s very patient and always has time for any questions/concerns I have. She’s pretty affordable as far as editing costs go.

You can email her at [email protected] or go right to the site for a quote. Super easy to get pricing.

16. Yasmine says:

Hello, my name is Yasmine and I have a good story here about:

A sex addict cop who meet and fall in love with a modest Christian patriarchy shy women.

I would like to get help and as much information as possible because I don’t have any kind of money and I know there are options and I have screen stories so let me know. My goal is for someone who can read my story and give me reviews and feedback and what it needs next?

Thank you.

Yasmine, I recommend researching the editors listed here (and in the comments) to find a few that seem like a good fit. Then query them directly.

17. Hi! I would love to nominate my editor Erin Liles from In a Perfect Word Editing (https://editperfectword.com/)! I’ve worked with Erin on almost twelve novels so far, have recommended her to fellow authors, and have never had a bad word to say! She is amazing to work with, offering edits to improve my projects and clean them up without changing my personal voice or style! I truly think any writer would enjoy working with her!

• Hi K.M!
      I second Kaitlyn on this one.
      Erin works with me as well and I totally love her professionalism, availability and passion. I have been recommending here to my author friends too.
      She does both my development and copy editing.
      My work is so so much better once she’s gone through it.
      She really can find the little things that can make my books better.
      And of course, she is so so easy to work with. She works with me, not for or against me. I like that I can call her and say “Erin, how are WE going to fix this?” then we start talking. It’s always a team effort. I think she really deserves being on your list.
      Thank you for considering her.
      Martine

• I’ve been considering hiring Erin Liles to do a developmental edit on my first novel manuscript, so I’m pleased to read your recommendation. I need a couple of beta readers before I get to the professional edit step, but I hope to be there in a few months.

Thanks for taking your time to write about your experience with Erin Liles.

• Thanks so much for the recommendations! I just wanted to let anyone interested know that I’ve moved to inaperfectword.com. Thanks!

18. Most influential editor and amazing mind, I nominate Lauren I. Ruiz at Pure Text Editing!
    She not only helped me in the beginnings of my YA author career, but if it wasn’t for her, I might not be at the place I am now in publishing. For all the years she gave me feedback, even when I didn’t want to hear it, it only made me better. She worked with me through every high and low, and always had critical feedback that pushed me forward, making the story and my writing shine.

19. I’d like to recommend Mary Kole, a professional and passionate children’s editor whom has worked as a literary agent for Andrea Brown. Mary eats and breathes kidlit and I’ve used her on my last two MG books.

20. Hi Katie,

Thanks for including me on your list! It’s been almost a year since you published this post, and I’m now working with several authors who reached out to Breakout Editing because of your list—and they’ve each said how much they appreciated this post. Thanks for all you do for authors. You rock!

21. Milk Shake Lover says:

Loved the article. Just a question, how do I know which editor is right for me?

I recommend researching the websites to see if any jump out as right for your genre and style. Then email them with any questions you may have. Many editors will offer a “sample” editing of a page or so to see if you’re a good fit. You can also request the emails of their satisfied customers if you’d like further validation.

22. My goodness, there’s so many! But good to know! Thanks, Katie!

1. […] excellent list of book editors compiled by K.M. Weiland will help […]

2. […] “Need a Good Book Editor? Top Recommendations”: As an editor herself, and after being asked far too often for editorial recommendations, author K. M. Weiland created this list based on writing experts whose opinions she trusts. […]

3. […] “Need a Good Book Editor? Top Recommendations”: As an editor herself, and after being asked far too often for editorial recommendations, author K. M. Weiland created this list based on writing experts whose opinions she trusts. […]